A few weeks ago I filled you guys in on my very own White Box Challenge. Just as a reminder I was given $20 and this room:
The goal being to create a happy and safe place for 3 years olds to play. I’m not saying this is my best work, but considering my very lowly budget and the constraints (no painting, etc) I’m happy with what I’ve accomplished so far.
The good news is that the kids enjoyed playing and had no complaints about the room. They also really liked having their artwork hung up on the twine with clothespins. I’m sure the room will evolve over the course of the year but I’m glad I spent some time making it look a little better.
I went to Family Dollar and bought the following things for a total of $16:
– 5 packets of tissue paper and ribbon to make these pom pom flowers.
– A packet of colorful printer paper (not construction paper) to make these zig-zag streamers and for other uses (the memory verse on the wall and for extra coloring paper).
– 3 small and 2 large bright green buckets for crayons and playdough.
– twine and clothespins for hanging the kids’ art
Thanks to those who shared their ideas of what they’ve done in similar situations. I hope to add the following in the future:
– more garlands (pom poms, bunting, etc) if I can figure out how to get stuff to stick to the ceiling (it’s impervious to thumbtacks)
– get a large branch that the kids and I can decorate
– if I get a budget boost I’d love to add a large blackboard or dry erase board for the kids to draw on and a more colorful and comfortable rug for the kids to sit on
– add larger posters or craft paper that the kids can color over the course of the year
I’ll keep you all updated and thanks for the input!